Thursday 15 March 2007

Means of transportation

During our time either you walk, take the public bus or engage private transport to school. There was no school bus service.

What was unique about these private transport was that they were provided by private operators using vehicles not like the MPVs we have these days but mere saloon grade ones that should only carry 5 passengers max. Instead these enterprising operators had a long small bench placed over the back passenger seat so that they could pack 8 to 10 of us behind. I wondered how I survive using this form of transport which probably explained why I walked home whenever I could when I was in upper primary.

By the way my "school transport" was driven by a woman. On hindsight the Car Auntie was ahead of her times - she not only can drive but turned it into a business - an enterprising woman indeed! Joo Huang shared the same transport with me. Can you imagine squeezing ourselves into the backseat of a saloon now? LOL.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes,I m one of those who sat on the bench. I remmebered I bought "Ice bag" favoured water frozen in small plastic bag after school enjoying the sugar and cold ice.

Blog Archive